Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Sore throat after temporary crown

04/03/2008

Question:

I had a temporary crown put in two weeks ago in preparation for the permanent one. That night, my throat was so sore that I couldn`t even swallow water without a great deal of pain. The next day I went back to my dentist and he made some adjustments but couldn`t see anything wrong with throat. It was just on the side where crown went in. The next day it was still so bad, I went to my regular internist. He couldn`t see anything but prescribed the "Miracle Mouthwash" a numbing combination of Maalox, benydryl and Lidocaine. This hardly touched the pain. It finally went away after 6 days but then I had to go back yesterday for another adjustment on the temporary. He had to reshape and re-adhere it. Again, last night, that horrible sore throat was back in the exact same spot. While he was putting the temporary back in, I could taste the nasty cement and felt a burning sensation in my mouth. I know I swallowed some while sitting there with teeth clenched. I`m wondering if the cement could`ve "burned" the back of my throat. The pain is so bad and swallowing is difficult. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Answer:

There is nothing in the cement that could cause burning.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD
Professor of Restorative & Prosthetic Dentistry