Autism

Autism

04/09/2008

Question:

Can you tell me what are the things that we should check on a child for autism. And when should we start checkig that. Thanks in advance.

Answer:

As a parent, if you have any concerns about your child's behavior that may not appear to be right to you, please don't hesitate to mention it to the child's doctor.

When you take your baby/child to the doctor for their routine exams, it is their responsibility to be doing certain assessments which may alert them to a possible problem. For instance, they may want to see how much the baby/child is interested in interacting with others, does the child avoid eye contact (usually with the mother),or does the child not like to be held or touched. They will ask you several questions which may or may not trigger a red light.  Often times when the children are younger, it may take several visits to establish that there may or may not be a problem. On the other hand, if the health care provider senses that there may be a problem, they may want to refer the child to a specialist to be evaluated.

I am hoping that you have a good relationship with your health care provider because oftentimes they are able to allay your fears about potential problems, or if there is a potential problem then they can reassure you that there is treatment available.

Best of luck to you.

Go to the Autism health topic, where you can:

Susan Thompson, MSN, CPNP
Research Nurse Practitioner
OSU Nisonger Center