Diabetes-Husband-TTC-#2 Q

04/04/2008

Question:

I have a q?-My older husband (13 yr`s. diff.-I`m 43 and he`s 57). We`re trying to conceive with my 1st one. He has been diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2. His Dr. didn`t put him on any med`s. yet; waiting to see if he can control it with diet and exercise. How does that affect Trying to conceive with his diagnosis??? and us being older???

Answer:

Prolonged diabetes can result in impairment of erectile function, which may in turn impair the ability to have intercourse.  However, there is no alteration in sperm number, quality or function that is common in men with diabetes.  There can be a reduction in testosterone which may also reduce the level of interest in having intercourse.  Apart from those, I don't believe that diabetes in the male partner should have a significant impact on the ability of a woman without diabetes to conceive.

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD