2 years post root canal

04/24/2008

Question:

I had a root canal on my top molar 2 years ago. The dentist put the crown with the post on the root canal molar. Due to sensitivity of tooth for past 2 weeks, dentist x-rayed tooth and determined that root cracked. What are my options. He said if it doesn`t bother me, no immediate action needs to be taken. Please advise.

Answer:

Unfortunately, there are not many options for a cracked root and they usually require extraction. Sometimes if a tooth has multiple roots (you stated that your tooth is a molar-they usually have more than one root), a surgical procedure can be done to remove just the cracked root. You would need to seek an evaluation by an endodontist to determine whether anything can be done to save the tooth. If you opt to have the tooth extracted, you can wait until you become symptomatic. The reason we usually don't recommend waiting is because if the tooth does start to become symptomatic you can have facial swelling and/or a fever and it can be painful. This can happen at the most inopportune time.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics