Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Unexplained bruising

04/08/2008

Question:

A couple of weeks ago I developed bruises on my thighs, approximately fingertip size. These seemed to multiply until about half of my thighs are covered in bruises and there is some on my lower legs and my hips as well. In addition to the bruises, there are red marks (almost like blood blisters) about the size of the head of a pin scattered over the bruises. I have also had stomach cramps, very low blood pressure (normally low but it has dropped further), dry mouth and an intermittent low fever (99.4) over this same period of time. Take low dose of Celexa and Wellbutrin. Never had children, not overweight, healthy diet, etc. Have not had my iron checked but take a multivitamin supplement with iron. The bruises are very dark and seem to be spreading and getting worse. Should I be concerned?

Answer:

It is difficult to say in any detail what may be going on, but it does sound like you have significant bruising that should be evaluated. I would tell you to make an appointment to see your physician to evaluate these issues.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine