Cancer

Prognosis of stage 4 liver cancer

04/09/2008

Question:

My sister was diagnosed in June of 2007 with stage 4 liver cancer. She had been in remission for 5 years with breast cancer. She went through chemo but now has ended treatment and is experiencing jaundice and swollen feet. Can you give me any idea of her time left with us. I don`t think it`s very long but is it days or weeks?

Answer:

I am sorry to learn of this of your sister.

Stage IV liver cancer is the most severe stage to have. Without more information, in terms of laboratory data, and other things, it is impossible for me to tell you what you are asking.

Overall, there are very few people who survive 3 years after the diagnosis of stage IV, about 10%. If your sister is yellow and accumulating fluid, I suspect that there is serious liver disease and dysfunction. However, it is always hard to say how long someone has to live, as there are so many factors to consider.

Go to the Cancer health topic, where you can:

Steven  M Rudich, MD, PhD, FACS Steven M Rudich, MD, PhD, FACS
Formerly
Professor of Surgery, Director of Liver Transplat and Hepatobiliary Surgery