Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents)

More Information Please



I do have a friend who very recently after two failed suicide attempts was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, and Depression. He had become very verbally aggressive towards me on the phone a while back. I only want him to know that he has my full support in all he is going through. I have done some research in the short space of time. I did let him know that I love him and that he is very special to me, please let me know what else I can do? Please answer as soon as possible as this is effecting my eating-,sleeping- and working conditions as well because he matters to me!


Your situation sounds awful.

1. If you feel that your friend is potentially suicidal, either take the person to the ER or contact your local community mental health center regarding involuntary hospitalization assessment. Naturally, if the person has family, I would raise your concerns with his/her spouse or other close relative.

2. If you know the name of your friend's psychiatrist or therapist, you could try to reach them to give information, not to get information. Let this be clear.

3. If you fear for your safety - call the police.

4. In the meantime, as you know, you can only do so much. Psychiatrists are poor at predicting suicide. Good treatment, hospitalization when needed, limiting access to lethal weapons, and support are the only options that I can see from your presentation.

Take care of yourself.

For more information:

Go to the Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents) health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Stephen F Pariser, MD Stephen F Pariser, MD
Faculty Emeritus
Professor of Psychiatry
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University