Myasthenia Gravis

Plasma tips

04/29/2008

Question:

Plasma Pherosis can be risky or at least difficult. It causes shortening breath, coldness of my body while being conducted. Would you please provide with with some tips (i.e. food to be eaten prior to the process, etc)

Answer:

Pheresis is the removal of some circulating blood component, either cells (cytapheresis) or some plasma solute (plasmapheresis). The goal is to remove the circulating substance directly responsible for the disease process (acetylcholine receptor antibodies). As for side effects, there can be low calcium (hypocalcemia), allergic reactions, vasovagal reactions, low volume, low blood pressure, low white blood cell count or low platelets, and cardiac problems. Also patients can have complications related to the catheter placement, like bleeding and infection. It is not a procedure without risk, but if done safely and well, can be very effective.

I know of no special foods to help you but I do think it is a good idea to eat before doing the procedure, especially a well-balanced meal with some protein to sustain you through the 1-3 hours of treatment. I have had patients complain of feeling cold and usually a blanket or extra thick clothes are helpful. Bring a book or magazine to distract you while you are on the machine, as nothing notices problems more than boredom. Good luck.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

Robert W Neel, IV, MD Robert W Neel, IV, MD