Depression

Reasons to Seek Psychiatric Evaluation

04/21/2008

Question:

I`m 22 years old and I always feel very tired and down. I occasionally experience lightheaded and dizziness. I get headaches on a daily basis. I get moody and all I want to do is sleep, sleep sleep. I eat normally, I am not obese. I work full time and after work I go home eat, and sleep. I don't feel like doing anything. nothing really motivates me enough. I`m not the most social person either, never been. I've always been a bit to myself. these symptoms aren't new, but they have been worsening. sometimes I will also feel nauseous. I went to a doctor to seek advice about the light head/ dizzy issue and he told me I have generalized anxiety disorder. I do not suffer from any of the psychological symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder. Any advice? thank you

Answer:

I suggest you seek a psychiatric evaluation. You may have major depression or a combination of problems, but until you have a clear assessment you can't make an effective treatment plan. Your primary care doctor may help you find a psychiatric evaluation.

Go to the Depression health topic, where you can:

Lawson  Wulsin, MD Lawson Wulsin, MD
Professor of Psychiatry and Family Medicine, Training Director of the Family Medicine Psychiatry Residency Program