Pulmonary Hypertension

Obesity and pulmonary hypertension

04/14/2008

Question:

I am a 57 y/o female with mild-moderate pulmonary hypertension, my SPAP is 50, increased from 30 one year ago and from 40 6 months ago. I have multiple medical problems so overlapping symptoms make it hard to get an accurate diagnosis. My cardiologist told me if I had gastric surgery and lost 100# he is certain my PAP would be normal. I have not found significant research to back this up. I did lose 24 # and still had an elevation of 10 points on my echo. Also, is there much data to support treatment for class I-II in the NYC catetgories. I also have a pulmonologist and the two seem to have different opinions. Do you think I should seek out a specialty clinic? I do have extreme fatigue, SOB with mild exertion, some chest pains. Please help me with some straight talk. Thanks

Answer:

A SPAP of 50 with your symptoms is worrisome. You do not state what your other medical problems are ; it would be important to ascertain what is causing the high pressures before I can comment whether losing weight would help or would the current treatments for PH be appropriate for you. The echo estimates the pressures, but we need to measure the pressures to confirm they are high before initiating any treatment.

Go to the Pulmonary Hypertension health topic, where you can:

Namita   Sood, MD, FCCP Namita Sood, MD, FCCP
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Critical Care & Sleep