Gynecology

Endometrial cells in pap smear of post-menap.

04/14/2008

Question:

I sent a question this morning and omitted significant info. My doctor called me and said that although my Pap smear was normal there were endometrial cells in it. I am post-menopausal, 60 years old with ovaries removed in 1995 because of non-cancerous growth on one. My physician wants me to have a biopsy and an ultrasound. I already had an interuterine ultrasound in October and the results were that the uterine lining was 3mm. thick. Should I have these tests? How concerned should I be? I tend to be a worrier and since my scheduled tests are not until May 8th I am concerned? Thank you.

Answer:

Since your ultrasound showed the lining to be 3 mm, that is reassuring.  You still need the microscopic evaluation of the cervix along with biopsies.  This is too look for changes too small for an ultrasound to see.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education