Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Dental prosthesis

04/14/2008

Question:

I have extensive bridge and crown with a prosthesis that sits on a metal rail It bothers me like a magnetic field and also is there any other materials in my procedure like plastic metal or anything else I may be feeling I hope you can help me

Answer:

If the prosthesis is new, the feeling you describe may be due to galvanism. Since dental materials are not magnetic, this may be what you are experiencing. Galvanism is like putting your tongue on a battery - a mild electrical reaction occurs between dissimilar metals. If you prosthesis is new, it will likely go away by itself in time. If this is a longstanding situation, you may need to consider remaking the prosthesis with another material, it that is possible. The strength, esthetic, and space requirements will dictate whether another material can be used.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Julie A Holloway, DDS, MS, FACP Julie A Holloway, DDS, MS, FACP
Associate Professor of Restorative and Prosthetic Dentistry