Braces

Braces

04/15/2008

Question:

I have had braces on my teeth for a while now. They were due to come off in Nov. 2007. However some unexpected things came up. I had to pay money for a divorce and custody isses. All of the extra money that I had went to lawyers. There for I fell behind on my orthodonic payments. My orthodotist will not see me anymore until I pay my balance of $3000. I do not have that kind of money just laying around. They will not do any payment arrangements either. Is there any way I can go see someone else to take my braces off and continue treatment with them? I am paying my orthodonist off little by little but I need treatment now. I can`t get any sort of loan either. I`m not sure what I should do. My braces need to come off. What is going to happen to my teeth. Thank you very much.

Answer:

You can have your braces removed by any licensed dentist. I would recommend calling orthodontists in your area and asking if they would remove your braces and how much they would charge. It is not ethical for the orthodontist to make you pay your bill before providing care. You will need to sign a release if you ask to have your braces removed before the orthodontist thinks you are finished with treatment.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Mark G Hans, DDS, MSD Mark G Hans, DDS, MSD
Professor of Orthodontics
School of Dental Medicine