Gynecology

Abnormal cysts

04/14/2008

Question:

I had a yearly check up and my Dr found a large mass in my pelvic area. Next day I had an ultra sound done. I have a large abnormal cyst. I assume on my ovary. I then was sent for a cat scan. I had a hysterectomy 22 years ago but have my ovaries. I am 52 years old. I am now going to a specialist. This has happened in less than 1 week. I have a large stomach always feeling very full. I look about 3 months pregnant and have been gaining weight for the past year. Is this possibly ovarian cancer?

Answer:

In a post-menopausal woman, a pelvic mass or ovarian mass is always considered a neoplasm until proven otherwise. The majority of the time it is a benign cyst and not a neoplasm. The concern depends on the size and consistency of the cyst. It is likely that unless it is a small simple cyst, it will need to be removed to determine if it is malignant or not.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education