Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Delayed fronth tooth

04/15/2008

Question:

My grandson age 7 has permanent teeth coming in all except the front top right tooth. He has been to the dentist but nothing was said that this was a problem. What is the latest that the top front tooth should come down? And should we be concerned?

Answer:

At the age of seven, it is not uncommon for the front permanent teeth (incisors) to erupt in a variety of sequences. Be concerned if the adjacent tooth appears to be almost fully erupted before you even see the missing tooth penetrate the gum tissue. Sometimes an extra tooth (supernumerary tooth) can prevent teeth from erupting in this area. It is always a good idea to get a second opinion from another dentist if you have questions about a diagnosis or proposed treatment. I recommend that you see a dentist who specializes in children (pediatric dentist) if you have concerns.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Dennis J McTigue, DDS Dennis J McTigue, DDS
Professor of Pediatric Dentistry