Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Kidney enlarged after pyleoplasty

04/15/2008

Question:

My son had left pyleoplasty in October 2007 due to hydronephrosis from a UPJ obstruction. How long would you think it should take before his kidney is a normal kidney, or because he is 11 and it is felt that he was born this way, do you feel it will always be dialated? Also, after this type of surgery how do you feel about a child playing contact sports? How often should he be followed and by whom?

Thanks for your help! His doctor says he feels he is progressing well, just wanted another opinion since the doctor sees this all of the time and I want to make sure he isn`t too used to this.

Answer:

The kidney might always be enlarged--it depends on how severe the hydronephrosis was in the first place. If it was quite severe, then there will probably always be some hydronephrosis, although it tends to lessen over time.

I think it is OK to play contact sports, although if it is a single kidney and it was hydronephrotic, I would not recommend hockey or football. If there is a normal kidney on the other side, then contact sports should be fine.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology