Rehabilitation

Exercises not affecting crushed T11 & T12

04/16/2008

Question:

I recently crushed myT11 and T12 in a rugby accicent. I am still walking with discomfort. I have been told that I will no longer be able to play contact sport. What type of exercise would you recommend for this type of injury once the healing process has settled down. I am used to being very active and phyiscal.

Answer:

Once the injury is healed, you should be able to participate in any non-contact sport. That would include golf, tennis, bike riding and even jogging. You would most likely want to stay away from mountain biking due to the risk of falling, as well as basketball, football, and even soccer due to the risk of hard contact. Any activity you would like to complete at the gym such as weight lifting, yoga or aerobic class or aerobic machines should also be tolerable. All this depends on the extent of your injury and how well it heals so please bring specific examples to your doctor so you can discuss the risks.

Go to the Rehabilitation health topic, where you can:

Tammy S Wadsworth, PT MS OCS Tammy S Wadsworth, PT MS OCS
Sports Medicine Team Member
Clinical Instructor at The School of Allied Medical Professions