Tuberculosis

Treated for TB but getting a lot of knee pain

04/15/2008

Question:

I was treated for TB 4 years ago, and now I am getting knee pain, for which I have consulted doctor who has taken some fluids and blood from the knee joint, and couldn`t able to figure out why I was getting knee pain, so adviced me to reduce the weight (20 kilos). My worry is once, after taking medication, can I be infected with TB again? I need your advice..........Thanks

Answer:

Your question is difficult to answer without knowing more details of your case of tuberculosis. I assume from the question that you have asked that your original TB infection was in the knee joint. If you had TB in the knee in the past, and took a full course of treatment, the risk of relapse is probably about 2-5%, depending on the duration of treatment. Most relapse occurs within 2 years of the original disease, but it is possible to have a relapse even 4 years later.

If your original infection with TB was in the lung, then it would be much more unusual to now have TB of your knee.

Go to the Tuberculosis health topic, where you can:

Catherine A Curley, MD, MS Catherine A Curley, MD, MS
Assistant Professor of Medicine