COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Emphysema

05/02/2008

Question:

I have been diagnosed with Emphysema (moderate to severe) and I have been having a lot of pain in both lungs (it is like heart burn), this happens when I carry things (with some weight). I walk 4 kilometers each day and find that if I walk fast (power walk) I get the above problem and even weeding the garden. Is this normal symptom of Emphysema. Thank you

Answer:

The most common symptoms patients with emphysema have are cough, shortness of breath (especially with activity), and wheezing. Many patients describe a “chest tightness” with activity. The more strenuous the activity the worse the symptoms can be. However, frank "chest pain" is not a common symptom associated with emphysema. People perceive pain differently, and I would encourage you to discuss this with your physician.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Gretchen   Whitby, APRN Gretchen Whitby, APRN
Nurse Practitioner of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

Phillip T Diaz, MD Phillip T Diaz, MD
Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine