COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

I have been diagnosed with Emphysema (moderate to severe) and I have been having a lot of pain in both lungs (it is like heart burn), this happens when I carry things (with some weight). I walk 4 kilometers each day and find that if I walk fast (power walk) I get the above problem and even weeding the garden. Is this normal symptom of Emphysema. Thank you

The most common symptoms patients with emphysema have are cough, shortness of breath (especially with activity), and wheezing. Many patients describe a “chest tightness” with activity. The more strenuous the activity the worse the symptoms can be. However, frank "chest pain" is not a common symptom associated with emphysema. People perceive pain differently, and I would encourage you to discuss this with your physician.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Gretchen   Whitby, APRN Gretchen Whitby, APRN
Nurse Practitioner of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

Phillip T Diaz, MD Phillip T Diaz, MD
Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine