Exercise and Fitness

My physical therapy makes muscles rigid

04/21/2008

Question:

I was sent to physical therapy for nerve compression in my back, but the physical therapy exercises I am suppossed to do at home, make the muscles in my arms and legs get heavy and rigid. The next day I was in pain and could hardly move my legs. (I told the doctor that I can not walk too long because exercise makes my legs, sore, weak and very stiff. And I can NOT lift them to climb steps.) After resting my legs get back to normal. I am scared to do more physical therapy! Should I tell the doctor about this? My brother-in law said I could have a muscle disease and to get a second opinon. Should I do this?

Answer:

I would discuss your concerns with your physical therapist and also inform your personal physician.  Typically, you meet with a physical therapist for several weeks prior to being released to perform exercises at home on your own.  This assures that you are strong enough to perform exercises on your own based on your particular situation.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley