Gynecology

Missing menstrual cycle

04/29/2008

Question:

I had a baby in January 2007 and had a normal period until July of 2007 and haven`t had a period since (April 2008). I have been getting cramps monthly like I am about to start, but nothing ever happens from it. I scheduled an appointment for a pap two months ago, but they couldn`t get me in until the end of May and I am starting to worry. Over the last 8 months, I have gained about 30 pounds and have started getting facial hair. I`m only 25 years old. What should I do? Should I try to find another doctor to get into sooner?

Answer:

You should get seen soon, but I don't think the end of May is too far away since you have been dealing with this for so long, especially if your Ob/Gyn knows you well. If not, then you could try to see someone sooner. You may have a hormonal condition that is causing all of this. On the other hand, the weight gain may have been what lead to the abnormal bleeding in the first place.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education