Braces

Severe root resorption

04/22/2008

Question:

I am in 20`s ,I was wondering if you could possibly give me some peace, From 2004-2006 I had orthodontics and in 2005 I had jaw surgery to set my lower jaw back because i had a underbite. I was suppose to get my braces off in february 2006 but instead november 2006 In Oct 2006 i had a baby. While i was pregnant all my blood work came back normal the only thing was i was slightly anemic. Just recently i had a physical done and everything came back normal except i had borderline high blood pressure.I have been going to my orthodontis since january 2008 i recently found out i have no roots on any of my teeth i have severe root resorption on all my teeth. I was told i was going to need dentures soon. Are there any possible answer you could give me that could of caused this? I did everything the doctor told me to do. Please help me to know what i could of done wrong?

Answer:

First, no one has ever lost a single tooth due to root resorption. The teeth may be loose, but spontaneous tooth loss has never been reported. Teeth may be lost due to periodontal disease or cavities, but not orthodontically related root resorption. Second, you need to see you orthodontist to discuss options if your teeth are loose.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Mark G Hans, DDS, MSD Mark G Hans, DDS, MSD
Professor of Orthodontics
School of Dental Medicine