Depression

Dosage Dangers of Xanax

04/25/2008

Question:

My friend (age 20) recently lost her whole family and has started keeping to herself a lot lately and talks about how depressing life is. She has mentioned suicide to me a few times, I even found a suicide note in the trash once. I'm worried for her but she shows everyone like shes fine.I found a prescription for 100 tabs of Xanax (0.5mg). Is that a potentially lethal? She has started drinking but doesn't drink a lot. Could I be overreacting or could that much Xanax kill her?

Answer:

Whether that dose of xanax is lethal depends on other medications and illnesses affect her. Though that dose may not kill her, it could put her in a coma. The best thing to do with your concern is first, tell her how concerned you are, and second, do your best to see that she gets evaluated by her doctor or a mental health specialist for depression and suicide risk, soon.

Go to the Depression health topic, where you can:

Lawson  Wulsin, MD Lawson Wulsin, MD
Professor of Psychiatry and Family Medicine, Training Director of the Family Medicine Psychiatry Residency Program