Myasthenia Gravis

Fosamax risks

05/23/2008

Question:

My 83-year old mother was diagnosed with MG app. four years ago and was put on a high dose regimen (100mg every other day) of alternate-day prednisone during her first year following diagnosis. After being weaned down to 10mg of prednisone every other day, she had a bone-density test which revealed only very slight osteopenia. Her bones have always been very strong. For the past two years, she has remained on alternate-day prednisone--at 10mg every other day. She will soon have her second bone density test and, needless to say, we are very anxious to find out the results.

My question is: If my mother`s bone density turns out to have been compromised so much that her doctors will want to put her on a medication such as Fosomax, is there not--especially since she continues to take prednisone at 10mg every other day-- a real danger of her developing osteonecrosis of the jaw?

Do you have experience with this? In other words, have any of your MG patients on low-dose steriod therapy combined with Fosomax (or another similar bone density drug) developed jaw osteonecrosis? How substantial are the risks in your opinion for MG patients taking low-dose steroids?

Thanks for your help.

Answer:

I recommend that even patients on low dose prednisone continue to use Fosamax and calcium/D in order to prevent osteoporosis. I fear that the risk of developing (or worsening) osteoporosis and the risk for fracture are greater than the risk of jaw osteonecrosis. Hope this helps.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

John G Quinlan, MD John G Quinlan, MD
Professor of Neurology