Thyroid Diseases

Would Thyroidectomy Stop Hives?

06/23/2008

Question:

My labs suggest that my nine month duration of hives/angioedema are driven by my thyroid antibodies. I have Hashimoto Thyroiditis. Would a thyroidectomy get rid of my hives?

Answer:

Urticaria is a common disease affecting up to 25% of the population, of which ¼ are chronic. Additionally, up to 6% of the population has positive anti-thyroid antibody, which makes Hashimoto's thyroiditis a very common autoimmune disease. However, the cause and effect relationship between thyroid autoimmune disorders and chronic urticaria (hives) is not known, and most likely these two conditions are associated as parallel autoimmune events. There is no evidence suggesting that thyroid disease is leading to urticaria, therefore, removing your thyroid gland most likely would no affect your skin condition.

I'm not sure whether your thyroid function is normal or abnormal, whether you are taking any thyroid hormone replacement or not. Few investigators have used thyroxin (thyroid hormone) therapy in patients with normal thyroid status, who failed the conventional treatment for urticaria. They were able to show improvement in symptoms in a subgroup of patients as long as they were taking thyroxin. You will need to discuss this with your endocrinologist to see if you are eligible for this treatment or not.

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Marzieh  Salehi, MD Marzieh Salehi, MD
Assistant Professor of Endocrinology