Prostate Cancer

Effects of Ejaculation on PSA Test

04/29/2008

Question:

I have read reports that ejaculation 48 hours prior to a PSA test can cause elevated PSA levels. Do you know how many points it can actually raise the levels?

Answer:

I am unfamiliar with evidence regarding PSA changes due to ejaculation, but I agree with you that this is considered a factor and whenever one of my patients has ejaculated and his PSA is higher than expected, I repeat the PSA. PSA varies quite markedly from day to  day, between different assays, and even on the same blood specimen if PSA is re-tested. Whether the variation that we see in repeated PSA measurements is due to one of the many factors described above or whether ejaculation really makes a difference to the PSA measured, I really do not know, but your question prompts me to look up the literature on this subject. Thank you.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

R Bruce  Bracken, MD R Bruce Bracken, MD
Professor of Surgery