Dental and Oral Health (Seniors)

Burning mouth from dentures

05/01/2008

Question:

I only have burning in the roof of my mouth with dentures. I have had new dentures made from Valplast, which I am not supposed to be allergic to, but still have the burning in my mouth. What can I do to stop it? I have many allergies and was told I was allergic to regular denture material.

Answer:

If the burning sensation is just with the prosthesis on, you can try to have a new denture made in metal on the palate (roof of your mouth). There are different kinds of metals than can be used. Metal base is more popular and less expensive, but you need to be tested before for allergies. Make sure that the alloy used is without nickel (Ni). The best metal will be a noble or high noble alloy. The main component is gold or palladium, which makes it expensive.  In the same way, you should be tested for allergies before fabrication of the new prosthesis.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Seniors) health topic, where you can:

Alfredo  Hernandez, DDS, MS Alfredo Hernandez, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Comprehensive Care
School of Dental Medicine