High Blood Pressure

Hypertension

06/02/2008

Question:

I am 36 and I have Hypertension since 5 years ago , my father had it from the same age, and he lived up to 72 , died 1 and half year ago, he never went to the doctor till his age of 69, drank lot of alcohol. I am using medication since last June 2007 because one night I have used some drops for cold that contained pseudoefedrine and I couldn`t sleep over that night and went to the emergency because I thought my BP was too low, because I was cold sweating and felt that someone is lifting me up, the doctor measured my BP and it was 190 / 110 , he recommended me to go and see a cardiologist after giving me two shots to lower my BP. I had no pain on that night and I drove my vehicle by myself to the doctor. On the next day I went to the Cardiologist ad after all medical exams it came up that I have no complications but I have inherited the hypertension, she recommended me to take 10 mg of Lisinopril per day, which I did for 5 months and it lowered my BP but I always felt like I am asleep, it was mostly 130/80 and above up to 140/90. After 5 months she recommended me to take 5 mg per day. And BP is the same. As I was reading internet stuff, I heard that beet juice can lower BP, so I decided to use half of liter of beet juice and 5 mg per day of lisinopril, , after 4 days , one night my BP was very slow normally after I used beet juice and medication, and it started to lower more and more and I felt kind of lossing my breath and I walk up in order to go the doctor but I was loosing still my breath more and more, so in a moment my heart rate turn to very fast beating and I went to the emergency and my BP was 160/100 , tell me what was that reaction of slow rate that I nearily died and then very fast heart beat in a second. After that I didnt`t went to my cardiologist but I visited one friend of mine , new cardiologist and did a ex ray of my heart , and he said it is OK. I was afraid that I had any mild stroke or something. But luckily not. Now I am using still 5 mg of lisinopril per day and from last June 2007 I am exercising every day for at least 30 minutes. My BP is now between 120/80 to very rare times 135/85 , how long do I have to use this medication in order to continue my normal living or is it to be used for eternity. Thank you,

Answer:

It is always difficult to make recommendations without having all the data in a given patient.  However, a few points can be made:

It appears that your blood pressure is currently well controlled.  Normal blood pressure is 120/80 or lower, and treatment with medication is usually not recommended unless the blood pressure is 140/90 or higher, although patients with diabetes or kidney disease should be treated when their blood pressure is 130/80 or higher.

The reason for your episode of low and then fast heart rate is unclear, but is unlikely to reflect serious heart disease.  In my opinion, it would be best for you to continue lisinopril for as long as you live.  Blood pressure tends to increase as years go by, and you may need a higher dose in the future.

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Professor of Medicine
Director of Hypertension Section