Gynecology

Depo-provera

05/29/2008

Question:

i`ve had my three shots (of deprovera) for last year is there a chance i could get pregnant? and is the depo still afecting my hormones even though i haven`t had the shots for this year

Answer:

An individual Depo-Provera shot provides protection from getting pregnant for 13 weeks. The shot must be given every 12 to 13 weeks for it to prevent you from getting pregnant. If you have not gotten a shot within the last 13 weeks, then you could get pregnant now.

For some women, the effect of Depo-Provera on their menstrual cycles may last longer than 13 weeks. Some women will have irregular cycles for a whole year after they get their last injection. However, you can still get pregnant even if you are having irregular menstrual periods. If you do not want to be pregnant you should be using another method of contraception.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Lisa M Keder, MD, MPH Lisa M Keder, MD, MPH
Clinical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology