Gum Diseases

Gum graft fell off

04/29/2008

Question:

I had a free gingival graft one week ago. The periodontist glued the donor tissue onto my recessed gum instead of using sutures. The donor tissue fell off last night (so about 6 days after the procedure). I went to see the periodontist today and he said this was OK because he still sees the original graft on my gum (I see nothing)...I`m confused because everything i see online says this isn`t really normal. Does this mean my graft has failed, or will I need to wait another week or so to know for sure? Thanks!

Answer:

Treatment outcome is generally evaluated 4-6 weeks after soft tissue grafting. Some of the tissue may fall off depending on the thickness of the graft tissue. (The most outside portion of the graft would not survive due to lack of blood supply and become necrotic-white, and it comes out). What is left should be reddish color and will survive.

Your doctor will need to re-evaluate the area and determine how much of it has taken. Sometimes we do a second surgery (coronally positioned flap) to bring what has taken onto more coronally (more towards root surface). In summary, you probably lost some of the graft, but your periodontist does not think that you lost all of them. You need to wait up to 8 weeks or so for tissue maturation and to determine how much of tissue has taken.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology