Gynecology

Vaginal itching and discomfort

05/06/2008

Question:

I am experiencing inter vaginal itching and a slight burning sensation when I urinate. There is no discharge, odor, sources, or lacerations. Could this be more serious than a yeast infection? Should I be worried? I have been with the same man for the last 14 months and this is the first time I have ever experienced this. I have had the symptoms for about 5-7 days now.

Answer:

You are likely experiencing this as the urine comes into contact with the skin at the opening of the vagina. It doesn't have to be an infection to be irritated. Tight fitting clothes, soaps, detergents, feminine products or even the friction from intercourse can cause the irritation that you describe. If you can't find any other changes to account for your symptoms OR you don't see any relief after changing them, then you need to be seen by your gyn to determine the cause.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education