Head and Neck Cancer

Sore lump cluster on head

05/05/2008

Question:

Several days ago I was have severe headaches. I don`t get these too often, but thought it could be another sinus infection. After the headaches ceased, a little, I noticed a tender lump almost directly on top of my head. It was about the size of a nickel. Three days later I have a small cluster of 3 lumps about 3-4 inches long where the original is, another a couple inches away, and a new one tonight at the base of my skull behind my left ear. I get "shooting" pains across the left side of my head... I am going to visit the doctor tomorrow, but thought I would get some insight. Also, and maybe noteworthy, I recently had a filling on the left side of my mouth and there are complications with that... I have a dentist appt in the morning...

Answer:

Neither a sinus infection or dental care should cause you to have a swelling on top of your head. The fact that it is tender and that you have more than one suggest some type of infection or inflammation although other causes are possible. I definitely agree with your decision to consult your physician.

Go to the Head and Neck Cancer health topic, where you can:

Cheryl  Koliha-Brandt, MSN, RN, CNS, CORLN Cheryl Koliha-Brandt, MSN, RN, CNS, CORLN
Clinical Nurse Specialist and Instructor of
Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology 
Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing

Pierre  Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS Pierre Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS
Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery