Infertility

Trying to get pregnant

05/07/2008

Question:

I have two healthy sons, 16 and 10 years old. I have been smoking for 14 years total. I quit smoking wheen i got prgenant with my 2nd son durring the pregnancy and for about 6 months after i had him i started back up. I turn 34 yrs old 2moro and have been trying to get pregnant agian. I know it has been 10 years, but im healthy. But i smoke a pack a day and drink lots of diet mt. dew. I have heard both of these can prevent pregnancy. Why ? We have been trying for a year now and nothing. We havee done the ovulation strips and temp. Nothing. Is it my two bad habits that are preventing me? I know if i get pregnant i can quit but i need to get pregnant first. how do i do this

Answer:

Certainly smoking (and possibly excessive intake of caffeine) can have a harmful effect on fertility.  Therefore, you should stop smoking and significantly decrease your intake of mountain dew (to 1 can per day). 

As you have been attempting conception for quite some time, an evaluation followed by treatment, would be recommended.  The evaluation would consist of a dye test to see if the tubes are open, as well as a blood test to see if you are ovulating.  Your partner should have a semen analysis done to evaluate his sperm. 

Potential treatment would include fertility pills or shots, coupled with either intrauterine insemination (IUI) or in vitro fertilization (IVF).  You can see your doctor for initial testing. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD