Hair loss

05/21/2008

Question:

My boyfriend is 22 y/o and he have very thin hair and look`s like his losing his hair. He have a good hair before, also the parents and grandparents have very good and thick hair (so no genetic caused). Someone said he shouldn`t wash his hair everyday, maybe only twice a week. My question is: 1.Is the advice correct?! because I think he should wash it everyday, so the hair would be free from oil and clean. 2.What is the best treatment for him?

Thank you

Answer:

This could still be a normal variant in that some men do start losing hair or thinning out hair in their 20s, even if their family/relatives don't experience the same thing. Washing usually has nothing to do with it. What's important is that he is healthy and has no underlying medical problems that contribute to the hair loss. Sometimes, thyroid disease (although more common in women) can cause hair loss. A visit to his primary physician will probably be good.

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center