Spine and Back Health

Upper back movements to avoid

05/02/2008

Question:

My doctor said I have multi-level DDD in my thoracic spine, mid thoracic curvature to the right, mild dorsal kyphosis, moderate osteophytes, mid thoracic joint dysfunction, and vacume phenomenon at several disc levels in thoracic and lumbar spine (where there is also multi-level DDD). My question is: Is there any upper back movements I should avoid doing, because my upper back is rigid! I can not sit up if I am lying in bed, so I push myself up with my arms and bend forward from the waist. The doctor said I should turn onto my side, but flexing my back sideways caused me pain and soreness. Should I avoid doing this maneuver?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, we try to answer general questions about health but cannot diagnose or recommend treatment. You appear to have some very, very specific questions about your condition, which can only be answered properly by a physician who is familiar with your history, physical exam, and test results. Your questions about the testing results you've been given or the risks, benefits, and alternatives for proposed treatments of this condition need to be directed to your treating physician(s). You should insist that they answer these questions in a way that you are able to understand before consenting to any treatment. If your physician is unable to help you understand these issues, you should get a second opinion. Take care.

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery