Myasthenia Gravis

Could I have MG?

05/02/2008

Question:

First, thank you for this site! I have the following symptoms: - Rolling, heavy, itchy numbness on the left side of my face (from the temple under eye down to chin) - Weakness (fatigue) in the left arm, predominantly in the left shoulder and bicep. - Weakness (fatigue) in the left leg, predominantly in the calf (I have been on a cane for support for over a month now) - shortness of breath exacerbated worse when going up stairs (I need to rest while walking up) and anything other than short distances. I also have coughing associated with the shortness of breath.

I`ve had blood work to check for MG, rheumatoid, MS and other autoimmune diseases all negative. Also I`ve had a EMG that showed mild neuropathy in the left leg but it wasn`t bad enough to classify neuropathy in the left arm. My Neurologist has strong suspicions that it could be MG and has prescribed Mestinon 60 mg three times a day, which works like a wonder drug for 3-5 hours at a time. Also he has recommended that I see a Neuromuscular specialist, could I have MG even if the blood and the EMG were negative or inconclusive? Also does the Mestinon working mean anything?

Thank you

Answer:

I agree with the recommendation that you see a neuromuscular specialist. The key to a reliable diagnosis is getting a good history, exam and a careful review of your tests.

Negative testing makes it less likely that you have MG, but does not exclude it.

Getting a second opinion from an experienced neuromuscular specialist is a great idea.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

John G Quinlan, MD John G Quinlan, MD
Professor of Neurology