Infertility

Pregnancy and FSH

05/12/2008

Question:

My wife is 30 yrs old, she underwent cyst and left ovary (damaged by cyst)removal surgery. Here are some recent results of her. Prolactin 46.06 ng/ml , FSH 12.12 mlU/ml, LH 5.53 mlU/ml. Her doctor told her she got very high FSH level and is with limited chances of preganancy with her on eggs. Could you please further comment on it?

Answer:

I assume that the timing was correct (cycle days 2, 3, or 4).  There are significant limitations with FSH testing in terms of predicting pregnancy outcome in young patients.  Also, the cutoff values for normal can vary, depending on the assay used.  For example, in our program, the cutoff value would be 13.  Other information such as antral follicle counts (counting the number of small cysts that contain eggs) can be performed at the beginning of your menstrual cycle.  Very low counts would be additional information that might suggest a problem.   Most studies would suggest that a slight increase in FSH would not preclude patients from going through fertility treatment and ultimately being successful.

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD