Exercise and Fitness

Shaping and toning

05/05/2008

Question:

In my locality there is a health club which offers 3days in a week and the package includes aerobics,yoga and gym for half an hour each.....will that help me in shaping and toning my body ? i have heard that most of the doctors say exercise in regular basis is effective otherwise its not going to help me.

Answer:

The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that exercise performed at a moderate intensity should be undertaken most days of the week. The duration of an exercise session interacts with the intensity to result in the expenditure of a sufficient number of calories to achieve health, fitness, and weight management goals. The duration of exercise recommended by ACSM includes 20 to 60 minutes of continuous or intermittent (minimum of 10 minute bouts) aerobic activity accumulated throughout the day.

For many participants, this may be accomplished best with moderate-intensity, long-duration exercise, such as walking. Current physical activity recommendations for adults include both cardio or aerobic type activities and resistance or strength building exercises. Thus, taking the class three days per week would be a great start to a well-rounded workout program. A desirable weight loss program is one that implements physical activity, along with healthy eating habits that can be continued for life. It is recommended to check with your physician before beginning any exercise program. Good luck to you.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Rachael   Dotson, BS Rachael Dotson, BS
Program Manager
Certified Johnny G Spinning Instructor
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley