High insulin level fasting, high hgh fasting

05/05/2008

Question:

I am a 30 year old female that has been having the same headache since nov. of 2007, my peripheral vision comes and goes, my forehead is protruding, and i am experiencing what i would describe as seizure like jerks but am fully alert during them. My hands are starting to cramp, and i feel as if I am going through growing pains all over again. I have had a glucose suppression test and my insulin is abnormally high, but my sugar is not low, i have also abnormally high igf 1 levels as well as hgh levels were quite high. I have had an mri and there are no signs of a pituitary tumor, could i be a diabetic? Does diabetes cause your hgh levels to be elevated and do my symptoms fall into any diabetic issues? thank you for your time, i am just really confused as to what is going on with me.

Answer:

The fact that someone did a glucose suppression test and tested for growth hormone and IGF-1 suggests that they were thinking about a pituitary tumor overproducing growth hormone. It sounds like several of the tests show evidence for an excessive amount of growth hormone - if there is an excessive amount of growth hormone and physical findings that go along with growth hormone excess (forehead protruding, changes in peripheral vision, headaches, possibly the "growing pains") , even if there is no evidence of a pituitary tumor, it means someone needs to take a harder look for why there is excessive growth hormone - I don't know whether you are being seen by an endocrinologist, but if not you are the point where you need to see one, especially one with experience in unusual pituitary disorders.  We have such a specialist at the University of Cincinnati or I can direct you to one somewhere else if you live far from here.  I would not get diverted into questions about diabetes until this key issue is adequately addressed.  Excessive growth hormone production could explain the high insulin levels although not the cramping; I also don't know what to say at this point about the jerking movements.

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD