COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

What is hyperlucency of upper lungs?

05/06/2008

Question:

A recent xray shows pulmonary hyperinflation and architectural changes consistent with COPD. Question developing emphysematous changes in the upper lobes. I have had asthmatic bronchitis for 10 yrs. managed with inhalers when wheezing. I am in my early 60`s and now I am having trouble taking a deep breath. My PCP has referred me to a pulmonologist but I can`t get appt. for 1 month. Should I wait a month or pursue another MD?

Answer:

Having to wait one month to see a specialist as a new patient is not all that uncommon. If your breathing difficulty has been going on for some time and not acutely worsening, it does not seem like an unreasonable wait. In the mean time, you could possibly undergo pulmonary function testing if you haven't had it performed recently. The results could then be shared with your new pulmonologist. This would have to be arranged by your PCP.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Mahasti   Rittinger, RRT Mahasti Rittinger, RRT
Clinical Program Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep

Phillip T Diaz, MD Phillip T Diaz, MD
Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine