Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects

Any genetic disorder?

05/13/2008

Question:

Any genetic disorder? I have a baby daughter who is now 11 weeks. She was born premature (35weeks), has her pinky fingers curved towards her thumb, as well as her legs below the knee (are also curved). I`m concerned that might be a sign of a genetic disorder. Neither me or my husband have that trait. Please give us some directions. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Answer:

When the pinky finger curves in - it is called clinodactyly. It means that the bone in middle of the finger is somewhat smaller than it usually is. This is a minor abnormality and usually has no significance.

Bowing (curving) of the legs below the knee is usually what is called, tibial bowing. This sometimes occurs because of the way the baby was positioned in the uterus during pregnancy.

Both of these findings may mean nothing. These two findings can also be seen in numerous different genetic disorders. Because your daughter has 2 findings, it would be appropriate for you to discuss this with your doctor or have a geneticist evaluate her. You can locate a genetics center near you at the National Society of Genetic Counselors' Resource website listed below.

National Society of Genetic Counselors Resource Center

Go to the Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects health topic, where you can:

Anne   Matthews, RN, PhD Anne Matthews, RN, PhD
Associate Professor of Genetics