Alzheimer's Disease

Short/long Term Effects of Anasthesia

05/06/2008

Question:

My mother of 80 has 3 nodules in her thyroid. 1 is considered a goiter and the recommendation is that it should be removed. Her brother was severely affected with Alzhemier`s and under went hernia surgery and this magnified his condition where he passed at the age of 57. The latest posted article 2003 suggested no ill effects from anesthesia. Mom is hovering around stage 2 alz. and given that most nodules of the thyroid grow slowly delaying is certainly an option. What do you think of a local anaesthia if the surgery had to proceed given the condition and family history?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. A question similar to yours has been previously addressed and is more recent than the entry you found on the site. I have updated the topic to reflect these more recent entries and some others that are related.  The links below will connect you to the information that most closely addresses your question. NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Memory after anesthesia
Longterm effects of general anesthesia?

Go to the Alzheimer's Disease health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org