Breast Cancer

Breast cancer

05/09/2008

Question:

Hello,

I am a 42 year old female and have been having mammograms done for the past nine years due to cystic breast(only in the left breast). Back in January 2008, I went for my yearly mammogram, in which they found a solid mass in my left breast. They diagnosed it as a Fibroadenoma tumor and after reading up on them, I asked my breast specialist to remove it, in which she agreed, due to my age. I went in for the surgery only to find out afterwards that they also found a small growth in the same breast in my nipple area. They also removed this and biopsied. After waiting two weeks for the pathology report, my doctor said the Fibroadenoma came back benign and the other growth was a papilloma microcalification, which also was benign. Going forward I am now under the care of my breast specialist on a year to year basis. My question is by having two different types of mass in the same breast, does this make me at a higher risk for breast cancer? Also, should I be concerned that I`m only a year to year check-up or should I be going every 6 months?

Thank you

Answer:

Fibroadenoma and papilloma microcalcification does not put you under higher risk for developing breast cancers. They are both benign and can exist in the same breast. As far as the papilloma, just watch out for any nipple discharge. Otherwise your plan of being followed yearly will be fine. Continue with regular self-breast exams.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Bhuvaneswari  Ramaswamy, MD Bhuvaneswari Ramaswamy, MD
Assistant Professor of Medical Oncology