Gum Diseases

Post gum graft problem

05/08/2008

Question:

My dentist recommended I have a gum graft due to recession of the gum over one tooth - I had the surgery performed in early March - a week after the surgery I started to bleed profusely as the stitches broke - the periodontist restitched my mouth in mid March - it is now almost mid May and the roof of my mouth is still not feeling the same as before the surgery - I am experiencing dry mouth and tenderness - can you please tell me how long it should take for my mouth to be back to normal - thanks so much for answering this question as I am getting concerned and my dentist keeps telling me it takes time

Answer:

Soft tissue healing generally takes 4-8 weeks to return back to normal. Since you had some complications after surgery, this may take a little longer. It also depends how much (thickness and the 2D size) tissue it was taken from the roof of the mouth and whether you had any bone exposure after the procedure. If you had bone exposure, the healing may take longer. Also, if you developed hematoma together with hemorrhage (meaning that you had bleeding into the tissue which accumulated there and caused swelling), this may delay the wound healing.

Dry mouth may be related to antibiotics or mouth rinse that you may use at the same time. We generally do not see dry mouth after this procedure even with complications. I recommend you visiting your periodontist so he/she can look at your healing one more time.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology