Hemochromatosis

Joint pain/hemochromatosis

05/08/2008

Question:

I have been diagnozed with hemochromatosis and I am experiencing a lot of joint pain in my shoulders, hand wrests, and most joints. However my concern is with what happens when I walk. My legs below my knees feel as if they are wooden and the pain radiates from my feet to above my knees. I have to stop and pound my feet several times in order to start up again. It becomes so severe that I have to be very careful of how I places my feet on the ground afraid I topple over. Is this common for a person with hemochromotosis?

Answer:

Although your question is about joint pain, your description is really more suggestive of a neuropathy, which is a nerve involvement problem that should not be characteristic of hemochromatosis. 

I would suggest that you follow up with your primary care doctor to see if a specialist needs to evaluate you.

Go to the Hemochromatosis health topic, where you can:

Mark   Wurster, MD Mark Wurster, MD
Former Clinical Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine