Gynecology

Uterine prolapse

05/09/2008

Question:

I have a prolapsed uterus, and am now doing some aerobic exorcises that involve some jumping. I can feel a fullness or drop while doing this and can often find the cervix at the opening of my vagina after the class. Am I causing it to worsen by doing these exorcises? My doctor has told me I am not at a stage where surgery is necessary.

Answer:

Any activity where you increase the pressure in the abdominal cavity can worsen uterine prolapse. There are pelvic floor exercises that can help strengthen the pelvic floor and reduce your symptoms. This can be taught to you by your physician or a physical therapist. If your cervix is at the opening of the vagina, then the prolapse is significant. You need to discuss this with your doctor and have them examine you in the standing position. They may change their outlook as to the degree of prolapse.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education