Osteoporosis

Is it Safe to Take Boniva and Fortical Simultaneously?

05/27/2008

Question:

Is it safe to use once a month Boniva and the Fortical nasal spray as a concurrent treatment? I am 55 yrs old, white female, and recently had new lower vertabrae fracture, and MRI shows several old fractures in spine. Am currently using the Fortical nasal spray and 1000 mg of calcium with Vit D. My GP suggest Boniva is stronger treatment, and said it is safe to use the Boniva and Fortical as treatment. But, I can not find anything that says it is OK. I am a little concerned of the side effects of Boniva, alone, as I took Fossamax, for a while, and it caused acid reflux problems. Would there be any kind of drug interaction by combining these two treatments?

Answer:

Most osteoporosis experts recommend starting with just one bone drug.  I would agree that Boniva would probably provide better protection from fracture.  Some people have less reflux with a once a month pill.  Watch for food triggers for the reflux.  You can also use the reflux pills intermittently just when the reflux starts up again.

Go to the Osteoporosis health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology