Spine and Back Health

Severe Buttock Pain

05/12/2008

Question:

About 6 weeks ago, I slipped and fell extremely hard onto hardwood floor, and landed directly on my upper right buttock. Since that time, when I lay on my right side to sleep at night, severe pain, starting at just to the right of the sacrum, but in the muscle, wakes me up. The pain radiates down the entire buttock and into the upper thigh on the exterior lateral side. I have to change sides, and then also put severe pressure on the point of pain in the buttock and massage it very hard. The pain doesn`t subside immediately, but does soften. During the day, when I`m up and around, there is no radiating pain, but if I press hard on the center point of where the pain is at night, I do feel some pain. Could this be a problem with the gluteus maximus? What remedy is there? Do I need to see a doctor? Thank you.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to evaluate your symptoms. However, NetWellness may have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Back Basics: Identifying and Eliminating Chronic Back Pain
Back pain - low
Spondylolisthesis

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org