Gynecology

Very scanty intermenstrual bleeding

06/03/2008

Question:

iam 28 yrs old with regular menstrual cycle that occurs every 26 days and lasts for 6-7 days .on dec 20th i took a contraceptive pill (2 tablets within 24 hrs ).it was the first time and i took only on that day .so i missed my periods for jan and feb.my doctor adviced me to wait so i waited and i got my periods on march 2nd ,then the next period on april 23rd.it got over on 30th april.but from the next day iam having very very scanty bleeding along with the white vaginal liquid for the past 8 days ...no odour .very slight pain in the abdomen.on jan i took a full abdominal ultrasound scan it was normal.what could be the reason.kindly guide me .

Answer:

There are many potential reasons for irregular menstrual cycles. If you are sexually active, you should have a pregnancy test to determine if you are pregnant. It is possible to have some bleeding in early pregnancy. Thus, you should first exclude this.

Hormonal contraception can also cause irregular bleeding, depending upon what type of contraception it is and how it is used. Additionally, stress, medical conditions, and chronic failure to ovulate can disrupt the menstrual cycle.

Once you have excluded that you are currently pregnant, you should keep track of your bleeding on a calendar. Take the calendar in with you to see your health care provider so that she or he can better help you to determine the cause of the irregular menstrual cycle.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Lisa M Keder, MD, MPH Lisa M Keder, MD, MPH
Clinical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology