Spine and Back Health

Multiple back problems

05/13/2008

Question:

I am 32 years old. I have had a problem with my back for the last 3 years. It started with a pain in my lower left side. Doctors kept saying it was a work related thing. I finally got an x-ray and they saw that I had spondylolisthesis. I am scheduled for a decompresion, instumentation and fusion of L4-S1. I have had CONSTANT severe pain in my upper back and a stiff neck for 3 months as well as the lower back pain. After numerous MRIs of my spine, there was two slight bulging disks in the upper area. My question is: everything I read says that the problem with my lumbar spine will cause lower back, hip and leg pain. Can it also be the cause of my upper back? I have been feeling like maybe I was mis-diagnosed in the beginning and maybe there is a greater problem. I know that back and hip pain can be caused by many conditions. I am feeling like maybe there is something that the doctors aren`t finding.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to evaluate your symptoms. However, NetWellness may have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org